Friday, January 11, 2013

Sandro Botticelli

Sandro Botticelli, was born on March 1st, 1445 in Florence. He was an Italian painter in the early Renaissance. At the age of 15 he decided to open up his own shop to sell his paintings and take requests for paintings. He mostly did paintings of characters from Greek mythology. Botticelli was most famous for his painting Primavera. Which was a painting of Venus, Goddess of Love in a orange grove. It represented the beginning of spring. During the time of the Renaissance was when his paintings were most popular, but later his paintings were less desirable. After he died, many years later his paintings were yet again more popular.

I really enjoy Botticelli's work because I had always liked Greek mythology and the stories behind them. The myths had many messages in them. So when I saw that Botticelli did paintings of the Greek Gods, I knew I wanted to my project about him.

The three paintings that appealed to me the most were Primavera, Venus and Mars, as well as The Birth of Venus.

No comments:

Post a Comment